The place that “Jack Built”
Muirfield Village seems like an absolute dream, designed by a golfer, Jack Nicklaus to be exact. Located in Dublin, Ohio, Muirfield Village was officially opened on Memorial Day 1974 with an exhibition between Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf. Jack’s 66 he shot to win the match held as the course record until 1979.
This 220 acre masterpiece is just northwest of Columbus, Ohio and has been home to the Memorial Tournament since 1976. The Memorial started out in grand style as the young 2nd year Roger Maltbie went up against past U.S. Open Champion, Hale Irwin in a three hole aggregate playoff. After both players went birdie-par-par the young Roger Maltbie birdied 18 to win by one over Hale Irwin. At the time the purse was a whopping $40,000 and Muirfield played around 7,000 yards. Last years purse was at $1.6 million and Muirfield played to almost 7,400 yards. The beauty to Jack’s design is that accuracy is absolutely necessary not just length.
Golfers must absolutely be on their “A” game when they make it to the final three holes. 16 – 18 are ranked 6, 4, and 1 in scoring average. They all three average over par.
In their own words, http://www.thememorialtournament.com , The Memorial Tournament serves three purposes:
- Honor the memory of individuals living and deceased who have distinguished themselves in the game of golf.
- Showcase the worlds best golfers (Tiger Woods will be there this year.)
- Benefits Columbus Charities in alliance with the Nicklaus Children’s Healthcare Foundation.
Important events and records at Muirfield Village:
- 1986 U.S. Jr. Amateur Championship
- 1987 Ryder Cup
- 1992 U.S. Amateur Championship
- 1998 Solheim Cup
- 2013 Presidents Cup
- Youngest Winner: Hideki Matsuyama, 22yrs old
- Oldest Winner: Kenny Perry, 47yrs old
- Most Wins: Tiger Woods, 5
- Tournament Record: Tom Lehman (-20)
- Course Record: John Huston, 61
#thememorialtournament #memorialtournament #golf #golfblog #jacknicklaus #tigerwoods #rydercup #ohiogolf #muirfieldvillage #dublinohio #haleirwin #rogermaltbie #pgatour #theseguysaregood